Most athletes these days wear wrist sleeve support. Ordinary people also use them in various everyday activities. A wrist sleeve looks quite stylish, but its effectiveness goes much beyond just that. The sleeves offer better blood circulation, reduce blood clots and helps the muscles. Muscle repair accelerates while wearing them. Hence, you can wear a wrist sleeve while at the gym to prevent injury but also if you’re experiencing pain. Here are some of the benefits to wearing them:
Advantages Of Wearing A Wristband For Pain
The medical benefits that a wristband for pain relief holds are impressive. Compression wrist sleeves not only help with ligament injuries but also boost athletic performance. The benefits of wearing one are:
- Support and stability – A wrist sleeve support is designed for supporting sore joints, muscles and tendons. Covering the injured area, the sleeves work like a protective layer that accelerates recovery.
- Better blood flow – Proper blood circulation is very important. A wrist sleeve provides circulation along with offering extra support. As you generate heat, you will automatically feel relief in the wrist area. Better blood flow always means quick healing.
- Daily activities – The best wrist sleeves are made of moisture-wicking fabric. So, when you do regular activities like mopping, cleaning or cooking, you can still wear these sleeves. The graduated compression that you get from these products can offer the right amount of pressure to assist you in your daily activities.
- Various compression levels – The best wrist support sleeve is designed with graduated compression technology, which is medical-grade quality. The compression these products offer helps with pain relief and decreases soreness.
- Faster recovery – When it comes to a wrist compression sleeve, they work by bringing nutrients rich in oxygen to the targeted area. These boost muscle efficiency and enhance blood circulation, along with promoting faster healing.
- Comfort – Several individuals have confirmed receiving a lot of comfort from their compression wrist sleeves. It happens mainly because these products offer therapeutic warmth along with a proper compression amount and wrist support.
- Reduce pain – A wrist support sleeve can largely help in decreasing wrist pain. These products also help in relieving pain related to carpal tunnel syndrome, wrist tendonitis and wrist strain. Along with providing warmth to swollen joints, a wrist sleeve can enhance circulation.
How to treat carpal tunnel syndrome with a wrist sleeve?
Do you feel itching or burning along with numbness in your hands frequently? If this is the case, then you may be suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome. People working in assembly lines and those who need to utilize their hands regularly sometimes experience it. Statistics show more than 4% of Americans suffer from this syndrome.
Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when a major nerve running from your wrist into your hand gets compressed or squeezed. The compression takes place when the tendons in your wrist become exhausted because of repetitive motion. This leads to inflammation and even tendon thickening. As your tendons swell, your carpal tunnel narrows, which puts extra pressure on your median nerve, leading to acute pain.
Detecting the problem early is very important. A few of the common symptoms are sensations of tingling, numbness and burning. In addition, you might feel that your grip is weakening.
Adults are more common to suffer from it. People involved in sewing, fish packing, manufacturing and cleaning suffer from it the most, due to repetitive hand motions. By catching it early and taking the right treatment, you can avoid perpetual nerve damage. Also, when you develop these symptoms, speaking to your doctor is important.
The one thing that can largely help stop or slow down the disease from developing is using a high-end wrist support sleeve. This will prevent extra stress from occurring that can directly affect the median nerve.
A wrist brace is a very useful product as it holds the wrist in a neutral or straight position, preventing you from bending the wrist. The wrist sleeves may or may not limit the thumb movement depending on whether or not you have the symptoms in the thumb. Wearing a wrist sleeve at night is advisable so that you do not accidentally bend your wrist while you sleep. Your doctor may advise you to wear the support sleeve during the daytime if you do activities that can worsen the symptoms, like typing.
Things to avoid that worsen carpal tunnel syndrome
Always research methods for alleviating pressure on the wrist when you have carpal tunnel syndrome. Some things to always keep in mind are:
- Always keep the hands warm. Cold temperatures can worsen the pain by causing stiffness
- Avoid repetitive motions
- Always keep your wrist in neutral position
- Give your wrists and hands a break whenever you can. Overusing the wrists is not recommended
- Relax your grip when performing hands-on tasks
Where Can You Buy A Wrist Sleeve Support For Pain Relief?
A wrist sleeve support is also known as a splint. You can easily get one from the drug store, as well as online. Online you can find several top-rated brands that manufacture the highest quality wrist braces.
When you buy a wristband for pain relief, make sure to contact your physical therapist first. Get a professional’s recommendation to get the right size and model.
Calculating the effectiveness of a wrist support sleeve
You may ask yourself if a wrist sleeve support is worth it or not.
The answer; it depends. These products are most useful for those people who have mild to severe carpal tunnel syndrome. However, many people have already confirmed that they work. Feelings of tingling, burning and numbness in the wrists were relieved you wear the sleeve throughout the night.
One thing to remember is there is no perfect, one-fits-all brace, you have to rely on your doctor’s recommendation for the right model.
What are some of the pros of a wristband for pain?
The pros of a wrist support sleeve are as follows:
- Odor resistant
- Allows for a complete motion range
- Provides great support
- Decreases inflammation and pain
The wrist is an underrated and sometimes neglected portion of the body. However, it is one of the most important segments of your hand. Your wrist plays several roles, and any sprain can put pressure on the delicate joints. But common wrist injuries such as avulsion, strain, gout or tendonitis can now be treated effectively with the help of a good wrist support sleeve. Offering adequate support and compression, these products can work wonders for your wrist. Make sure to discuss the pros and cons of wearing a wrist compression sleeve for your condition with your doctor.
Hi Yvonne, thank you for your question. We are sorry to hear you’ve injured your thumb.
We would recommend trying out our fingerless circulation gloves to aid in your healing: https://incrediwear.com/products/incrediwear-fingerless-circulation-gloves?pos=1&_sid=fc7245e97&ss=r
i think i hyperextended my thumb, or tried to lift something too heavy using only my thumb—what type of sleeve or brace would target healing of that trapezium joint?