Tennis Elbow or Lateral Epicondylitis is a condition that arises due to the over utilization of the forearm, hand muscles and arm. Overutilization leads to elbow pain. Several activities like carpentry, playing racket sports or tennis, vacuuming, handshaking and yard work can result in this kind of pain. However, these are everyday activities that humans need to engage in for fulfilling duties or earning a living. So if we cannot stop work, what else can we do to manage the pain? A tennis elbow brace is the answer. A brace can help in lessening elbow pain as it delivers support to the affected area.
When To Wear A Tennis Elbow Sleeve?
Several issues can cause pain in the arm. For example, it might arise when somebody lifts something heavy suddenly. It might even pain if someone stretched too hard while working out. But these conditions do not demand the use of a tennis elbow sleeve. Instead, here are the symptoms that indicate the occurrence of a tennis elbow. The signs are listed below:
- The slow increase in the pain around the elbow’s external side. The pain will amplify while squeezing objects or shaking hands.
- Tennis elbow leads to a sort of pain that first feels very mild but it worsens with time. The pain can enhance suddenly.
- Pain around the elbow can also increase when the individual moves the wrist by applying force for opening jars and lifting. In this condition, it will pain even when he tries to hold a toothbrush in his hand.
What Is A Tennis Elbow Brace?
A tennis elbow brace is a popular gear that helps in the rehabilitation and treatment of the tennis elbow. Mainly these elbow sleeves are meant for treating disorders like ligament injuries, sprains, bursitis and tendonitis. There are many kinds of elbow sleeves available in the market. But when in acute pain, only the doctor’s prescribed medical wear must be used. This will ensure that the affected person doesn’t increase the pain.
Along with this, selecting the correct product will also depend on the activities a person wants to engage in and how much he is willing to pay. There are three varieties when it comes to tennis elbow braces. These are tennis elbow strap, elbow sleeve and epicondylitis clasp.
Tennis elbow strap – This product is utilized by wrapping it around the forearm just beneath the elbow. Few products come with extra pressure pads. This will then sit on your muscle beneath the pain point on the elbow. The tennis elbow strap works by constricting the upper forearm, thereby absorbing forces transmitted via the soft tissues to the pain point on the elbow’s outside. These are highly affordable products. The user can adjust the compression level as per their preference. This product is highly recommended for people having symptoms of tennis elbow.
Tennis elbow sleeve – In this product, we can find a normal elbow sleeve along with a strap. The elbow brace offers support, warmth and compression in the complete elbow area as the strap tightens around the upper forearm area. Over the pain area, this product offers complete warmth that can speed up the healing process. As the sleeve provides support to the entire joint, it can heal several other minor arm injuries.
Epicondylitis clasp – It is a bit pricey tennis elbow brace that needs to fit correctly every time the user wants it to be completely effective. This kind of brace comprises a plastic clip or clasp that fits around the user’s arm and comes protected with a strap with the point of pressure over the muscle beneath the pain point on the elbow. Precise application of the elbow brace is possible to the exact pain area. It will only be achievable when the product fits the user accurately. An experienced tennis player can always use this product to attain precision support.
What Are The Benefits Of an Elbow Sleeve For Pain?
Are you wondering whether an elbow sleeve will be effective or not? Indeed, all products cannot be operative, but the best elbow support sleeve will always offer the following benefits:
- Pain relief from tight muscle tension – The biggest benefit an elbow sleeve can offer is pain relief. When the muscles are not under any tension or stress, they receive the needed rest. The elbow will not be performing any unwanted movement with the help of a brace which will again permit it to rest well.
- Avert chronic injury – Some people will always seek treatment for their pain after the encounter the injury. Then some people will avert it before it happens. When a person is involved in various heavy actions like cooking, playing tennis, vacuum cleaning, he inflicts repetitive overload on the forearm muscles. One of the best preventative steps is to start wearing a tennis elbow brace before the pain sets in.
- An affordable alternative – It is true that paying a visit to the doctor’s clinic can be expensive. There is a fee for the visit, diagnosis, prescription drugs, check-ups and a lot more. Few visits can be 14 weeks long, whereas few can only be a one-day visit. So if a person is suffering from acute elbow pain and wants a DIY method, he can try out an elbow brace. It can help him save money as well. However, speaking with the general physician once before wearing these products is always recommended.
The blog clearly shows how effective a tennis elbow brace can be for people with chronic pain in the elbow area. However, it is always vital to keep the symptoms of tennis elbow in mind to understand whether the product is to be worn or not. The best judge can be a certified physician. Consulting a professional is a must when a sudden pain arises in the elbow area. Following this, it matters from where a person is buying the product. Purchasing these medical gears calls for shopping online only from reputed manufacturers. A product can only be effective when its quality is high. Hence, be watchful while shopping for these medical gears.